Have you ever wondered what is the population of German? Discover more about the country’s demographics and the largest cities in German.
Population of Germany
The Federal Republic of Germany, commonly known in English as Germany, is the most populous country in Europe.
It borders Czechia and Austria to the east, Belgium and the Netherlands to the west, Poland and the Czech Republic to the north, and Switzerland to the south.
It has an area of 357,946 square kilometers (138,477 sq mi), a population of approximately 82.5 million people, and a population density of more than one person per square kilometer.
The capital city is Berlin, Germany’s largest metropolitan region, with about 18.4 million people as of 2018.
Most Germans are German citizens who speak German as their native tongue or a first language; however, there are significant immigrant populations from many other countries, including Poland, Italy, Turkey, Syria, and Martinique.
English is widely spoken throughout Germany, and standardized German is the official language; however, most people speak local dialects such as Bavarian or Low Saxon German.
What is the population of Germany in 2019?
The estimated population of Germany was 82.5 million people in July 2019, according to the census conducted by Statistics Germany. Therefore, the density of the population in Germany was estimated at 411 people per square kilometer.
This was an increase of about 1 million people from the previous census conducted in 2011. Now, about 52% of the total population of Germany lives in the federal states, while the remaining 48% is located in the cities and rural areas.
The largest city in Germany is Berlin, with an estimated population of 3.4 million people, while the largest federal state is Hesse, with an estimated population of 8.9 million.
The population of Germany by year
Using the latest data from Statistics Germany, the population of Germany increased by an average of 0.2% every year between 2005 and 2019. Germany’s population peaked in 2005 at an estimated 82.5 million people.
By the end of 2019, the population of Germany had decreased to an estimated 82.3 million people. The year 2021 was the year with the largest decrease in the population of Germany during the last decade.
How many people live in Germany?
According to the latest census data published by Statistics Germany, as of July 2019, the total population of Germany was 82,527,000 people. This represents an increase of an estimated 0.1% from the population of Germany as of July 2018.
Germany’s population density is about 411 people per square kilometer, which is slightly lower than the average population density of about 423 people per square kilometer in Europe.
A significant portion of Germany’s population lives in urban areas. In July 2019, about 61% of the total population of Germany was located in cities, towns or villages. The remaining 39% of the total population lived in rural areas.
What are the most populated cities in Germany?
The most populous city in Germany is Berlin, with an estimated population of 3.4 million people. Hamburg follows with an estimated population of 1.8 million people, while Frankfurt is the third most populous city with a population of 1.6 million.
Gender and age distribution of the German population
As of July 2019, the total population of Germany was 82,527,000 people. About 50.3% of the population in Germany were people aged below 40 years, and about 49.7% were people above 60 years.
Even though Germany’s population is aging, several million youths below 40 could have children of their own. The total fertility rate in Germany is 1.5 children per woman, slightly below the replacement rate of 2.1 children per woman.
The median age of the total population in Germany was 39 years. The median age of women was 37 years, and the median age of men was 39 years.
The age distribution of the German population is skewed towards the older end, which is common for most developed countries, especially for a country that was once a part of the Soviet Union.
Urbanization rate of Germany’s cities
The urbanization rate of Germany’s cities varies significantly, ranging from less than 1% to more than 70% of the total population.
Most developed countries experience urbanization with an increase in per capita income, and urbanization is generally associated with better quality of life and health.
As of July 2019, the urbanization rate of the largest city in Germany is 82% which is a considerable increase compared to the urbanization rate of 73% in 2011.
It is expected that the urbanization rate of the largest German city will continue to rise in the coming years with continued economic growth in the country.
As of July 2019, the urbanization rate of the smallest German city is as low as 7%, with a population of fewer than 2,000.
Most of the population of these cities live in rural areas and are unlikely to have access to basic services such as electricity, water and public transportation.
Transportation in Germany: Road, rail and air routes
Germany has the 11th longest road network, with more than 113,000 kilometers of roads. The respective local authorities maintain the majority of secondary and local roads in Germany.
The federal government funds major roads, while the federal states maintain minor roads to connect cities and towns.
The German railway network has the third longest network in Europe after Russia and France and has more than 25,000 kilometers of rail tracks. Most railways in Germany are owned and operated by Deutsche Bahn, a state-owned enterprise.
Air routes are also an important means of transportation in Germany, with the country having the third largest commercial airports in Europe after France and the United Kingdom. The federal government owns the majority of airports in Germany.
How accessible is Berlin for tourists?
Berlin is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations and one of the most visited cities in Europe.
Berlin is the most accessible city in Germany for tourists as it has the most accessible airports, rail and road routes, low population density and is easily accessible by a large number of international airlines.
Due to its central location in Europe, Berlin is also a popular transit point for many international tourists who may want to visit other parts of Europe without flying directly there.
Germany is the most populous country in Europe and has a population of 82.5 million people. Germany’s capital city is Berlin, which has an estimated population of 3.4 million.
Germany is also the most prosperous country in Europe and one of the world’s most developed countries. The German economy is one of the world’s strongest economies and one of the largest exporters.
The German education system is also one of the best in the world. The German population is aging, and the median age of people in the country is 39 years.
However, the total fertility rate in Germany is 1.5 children per woman, which is below the replacement rate of 2.1 children per woman. Berlin is the most populous city in Germany and the most accessible city in the country.